5 tips for shaking up your workout routine
There’s always a point where despite your best efforts and commitment to exercise, something stops working. You stop seeing results, or you get bored, and suddenly it doesn’t seem as worth it anymore. So, I thought I’d suggest 5 tips which will help you to rev up your workouts and get motivated and seeing results again. Hey, you’ve put the time in, so you may as well get the most out!
1. Work in some high-intensity intervals somewhere in your workouts. I’m a huge fan. It’s time-efficient and it’s effective, particularly at boosting fat burn. Just 5, 10, or 15 mins hard work can make a huge difference in a short period of time. Download a Tabata App to get you working for 20-second intervals for around 4 minutes, or just work as hard as you can for 10-20 repetitions.
2. Swap some ‘cardio’ for resistance training. So, use your bodyweight, pick up resistance bands, dumbbells, medicine balls, kettlebells, or any of the myriad options on the market. It boosts your metabolism, burns fat efficiently, and builds lean muscle tissue.
3. And on that note, choose efficient ‘compound exercises’ which work multiple muscles together. Why do a bicep curl alone, when you can add a squat for bum and legs, or add shoulder presses to lunges. Simple.
4. Try something different. I’d like to work more yoga into my routine or get back into Pilates. Shaking up your routine, be that a new class, exercise or format, will shock your body and leave you feeling energised, and most likely see better results. I run 6-week workout programmes online which often sees people sign up to get that ‘kick’ they need to work harder, but in the comfort of their own home.
5. Do a little bit of something, even if it’s not what you planned. Taking 5 or 10 minutes to do exercise, even if it isn’t the run you intended, will mean you are less likely to skip your next workout too. Walk, Squat while you brush your teeth or head on a family walk. Simply keep moving!